YUVA“Young, Upcoming and Versatile Authors” Scheme – Prime Minister’s Scheme for mentoring young authors.
The Ministry of Education, Department of Higher Education has launched YUVA (Young, Upcoming and Versatile Authors) Scheme. A Prime Minister’s Scheme For Mentoring Young Authors. This is an Author Mentorship programme to train young and budding authors (below 30 years of age) in order to promote reading, writing and book culture in the country, and project India and Indian writings globally.
Highlights of YUVA Scheme
YUVA is an Author Mentorship programme which will train young and budding authors aged below 30 years to in order to promote reading, writing and book culture in India. It will also project India and Indian writings worldwide.
Know about YUVA Scheme
YUVA stands for “Young, Upcoming and Versatile Authors”. The scheme is in line with PM’s vision of encouraging young writers to write about India’s freedom struggle. Call on young generation to write about freedom fighters was taken in PM’s Mann ki Baat in January 2021.
YUVA is a part of India @75 Project (Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav) which seeks to bring perspectives of young generation of writers on themes including Freedom Fighter, Unsung Heroes, Unknown and Forgotten Places etc.and their role in National Movement, and other related themes in an innovative and creative manner.
This scheme will thus help to develop a stream of writers who can write on a spectrum of subjects to promote Indian heritage, culture and knowledge system.
Who will implement this scheme?
Scheme will be implemented by “National Book Trust of India” under Ministry of Education. National Book Trust of India will ensure phase-wise execution of the Scheme under well-defined stages of mentorship. Books written under this scheme will be published by National Book Trust of India.
Books will be translated into different Indian languages to exchange culture and literature to promote ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’. The selected young authors will interact with some of the best authors of the world; participate in literary festivals etc.
Phase-Wise execution of the Scheme
Phase I – Training (6 months)
- The National Book Trust, India will organise a Two-Week Writers’ Online Programme for the selected candidates for the first three months.
- During this period, the young authors will be trained by two eminent authors/mentors from NBT’s panel of accomplished authors and writers, for each language groups.
PHASE II – Promotion (6 months)
- The young authors will get to expand their understanding and hone their skills through interaction at various international events such as Literary Festivals, Book Fairs, Virtual Book Fair, Cultural Exchange Programmes, etc.
- Selected child authors will also be paid annual scholarship
- A book or a series of books written by the young authors will be published by NBT, India as the outcome of the mentorship programme.
- Efforts will be made to get the selected books translated into UN and other international languages and promote the same through Indian embassies in collaboration with NBT.
NEP 2020 has emphasised on the empowerment of the young minds and creating a learning ecosystem that can make the young readers/learners ready for leadership roles in the future world. YUVA will go a long way in laying the foundation of the future leaders of the creative world.
Numbers of Authors under Scheme.
Under the YUVA scheme, total of 75 authors will be selected by an All-India Contest. Winners will be announced on August 15, 2021. Young winning authors will be trained by eminent authors to prepare manuscripts. Published books will be launched on in January 2022 on the occasion of National Youth Day.
Highlights of YUVA (Young, Upcoming and Versatile Authors) Scheme:
- A total of 75 authors will be selected through All India Contest to be conducted from 1 June to 31 July 2021.
- The website is https://www.mygov.in/
- The winners will be announced on 15 August 2021.
- The young authors will be trained by eminent authors/mentors.
- Under the mentorship, the manuscripts will be readied by 15 Dec. 2021 for publication.
- The published books will be launched on 12 January 2022 on the occasion of National Youth Day (Yuva Diwas).
- A consolidated scholarship of Rs.50,000 per month for a period of six months per author will be paid under the Mentorship Scheme.
Source of Information: Pib